Monday, May 2, 2011

Questioning the Media ch. 13

1. Are you exposed to popular culture from other countries? Why or why not? Give some examples.

 Personally, yes I am exposed to popular culture from other countries.  Although it is not because I go out of my way to seek exposure and I do not have many friends from outside the country.  The reason I am exposed to popular culture from outside the country is because I am learning German.  I know speaking German is not apart of popular culture but during class we also talk about German culture and how it is different from American culture, popular or not.  I have learned things like American traditional dating is not the same as German and that Germans listen to very different types of music.  I do have friends who have been to other countries but even if they did try to influence what popular culture they learned in other countries I do not believe it would take hold in America or even with a small group of friends. 

2. Do you read international news? Why or why not?

No, I do not read international news.  The reason is because I do not even read national news, why would I bother to read international news then?  The news has really never interested me unless it has to do with sports, for example I did not even know about the British Royal Wedding until the day before it happened.  If it is important I figure I will learn about it one way or the other.  Another example, I did not watch the news or go online to a news website to learn about Osama bin Laden being killed.  I heard it as people screamed it down my hall and posted over Facebook.  The news hardly has anything good to say so I do not care to listen to all the things that are wrong with us when I am not really in a position to fix things.  I would rather read about who made good draft picks or who got traded or cut.  Therefore, international news is of no interest to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment